Looking for the perfect winter soup recipe that’s packed with protein (not to mention vegan, vegetarian – all that jazz)? Well, here you go, friends!
- 1/2 ounce dried wild mushrooms (I’ve also used shitake multiple times and it works & tastes delish still, but I prefer wild if you can grab those).
- 16 ounces baby bella mushrooms
- 8 cloves of garlic
- 1 tablespoon EVOO
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 cup pearled barley
- 1 package of silken (soft) tofu
- Boil 2 cups of water in a small pot and add the dried mushrooms. Then set aside.
- In a large pot, combine EVOO, half of the chopped baby bella mushroom chunks and minced garlic over medium heat. Add the salt and stir. (Salt will help the mushrooms release their liquid.) Wait a few minutes until liquid evaporates.
- Add the 2 cups of water from the wild mushrooms (don’t add the mushrooms yet – just the water), 4 cups of water, soy sauce, and barley. Cover and let boil and then simmer for 35 minutes. (Make sure barley is soft before moving forward.)
- Add remaining 8 ounces of baby bella mushrooms and chopped wild mushrooms (that were previously soaked in the boiling water). Cook for 5 minutes.
- Puree the tofu in a blender making a smooth, creamy consistency. Stir into soup and wait a minute for the tofu to warm with the soup.
- Serve and sprinkle with chives.
Originally found this recipe years ago in this book and tweaked a tad.
Read More »
Try some other hashtag or username